Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snowstorms are fun

This morning at 6:30 I awoke and thought I'd better just take Beckett out at that time and then plan to go back to sleep for a nice change. Unfortunately, Beckett wasn't following my plan and when we got outside he decide he'd like to play in the deep snow that had landed through the night, plus he like the falling snow on his body.

We ended up doing the full walk around the neighbourhood and in the end, I had to call the shot after he only peed and the backs of my legs were frozen from the wind and snow blowing on them. Beckett on the other hand was playing his "well, I may still have to go" card! I wasn't falling for it. He'd look at me do the little dance to a certain spot, stand for a second, then he'd forget what he was supposed to be doing and he'd bounce through the snow!

Because it was so early and the snow had piled up quite a bit against the doorway I thought I'd shovel to make it easier for the little guy. Once I got him to move, he just bounded over the snowbank and in the door as I was reaching for the shovel. I guess he was giving me a break since I could no longer feel the backs of my legs!

I thought I'd give Darrin a break too and instead of given Beckett a hard dog biscuit, I opted for the soft one to eliminate the impact noise on the floor. When crawling back into bed I wrapped myself in blankets so as to not brush against Darrin with my quasi-frozen body and therefore jolting him into a VERY awake stage. In all honesty, I did contemplate doing it and got a nice little snicker out of the mind picture, but knew that in the end, I wouldn't be able to look innocent of my intent. You gotta laugh at these moments because just freezing has no comedic content!

After getting a couple of more hours sleep, I awoke to the time being 9:30 and realizing two things, I had promised a good friend I'd view a house she was considering and secondly, Beckett still hadn't POOPED! With that I went into "multi-task" mode fueled by the the realization that the dog probably was doing "the dance" IF I was lucky, my friend was soon going to call and I was running behind, and most importantly of all, I didn't have my coffee yet!

My luck was holding, Beckett didn't leave any prize package for me AND he didn't deliver it while I was cornering him with his lead. If I could rush Beckett (yeah right) to do his outside stuff, I could still pull it off. So, as I am gathering up my clothes for outside, Beckett is patiently tagging along through the apartment on his lead, while at the same time I am trying to call my friend on the cell retrieved amid my swooping process. This of course moved to the next stage of heading down the stairs to the landing to put my cloths on and yes, talking to my friend on the phone. Beckett, he's still the picture of patience and I think I saw him starting to smile as if he was enjoying the chaos running through my mind!

We did get outside shortly thereafter and Beckett promply pranced through the snowbanks to the empty lot where he peed. Yup... just peed. With the snow and rain mix blowing in our faces, he seemed to be the only one gathering enjoyment from the experience. He bounced up in over the snow only to do it again and again as if it were the first time he'd seen it. I can attest, he saw it a few hours earlier!

It was about this time that I realized my one error, I didn't "go" myself before putting him on the lead and heading outside! I'm sure others have faced this delima, but here I had a little guy who still hadn't pooped but now, there is a biological urge on my end of things for him to produce. My options were to go back to the apartment, which was not good because the odds were that once inside, he'd go! MY options were to take advantage of being a guy and go outside but with the number windows facing the vacant lot, I'm sure I'd be arrested for indecent exposure.
In the end, it was I who was doing the "dance" as Beckett procrastinated on his end, so to speak! After 15 minutes of walking around the block and without results, my needs became more urgent and we went in the apartment. An hour later, Darrin read Beckett's signs and took him outside. I think the dog was playing me!





No comments:

Post a Comment