Wednesday, February 9, 2011

aaakkkk. damn neighbourhood dog!

I have had such a setback this morning. I'm angry, sad, and realllllly pissed. Pardon my language for those readers I have just offended!


Considering it has taken two weeks to find out where Beckett is 'more secure' and knowing that being outside is his only spot, this morning's outside run may have ruined that fact.


While going through the meticulous steps of cheese rewards to advance Beckett to the outdoors, and having a fair success in removing the fear through cheese, I had a setback while running Beckett up our side street.


We had just finished business in the empty lot and were heading up the snow covered street when a larger dog came bounding toward us in full defense and aggressive mode. Hackles were up and chest puffed. Dog signs are something I've been fully versed in. This dog was defending some location but I didn't know which yard he had escaped from. Anyway, Beckett was between me and this dog so I tried to retrieve Beckett but in doing so he became more scared of me and ignored this dog gaining on him. Beckett's back was fully exposed because he had turned around to face me. I was panicked because Beckett wasn't preparing to defend himself and was wide open to being grabbed on his back or the back of his neck. My next series of moves only created more fear in Beckett. I narrowed the space between Beckett and myself and tried to swoop him in my arms, and of course he dodged me. I ended up putting myself between Beckett and this other dog and went into agressive mode to ward off the other dog. Having owned Rotties, I can tell you there is a trick to this. LOL Anyway the other dog halted but continued to try and circle me to get to Beckett. Of course I had to do the advance and roar at this dog to disarm his advances. All the time Beckett is cowering as though I just put the boots to him. This is where it's great that carrying guns is not something we do around here... twits like me would have blown that dog's head off in the heat of the battle. Not smart but that is what my first reaction was... yes, I expect some comments on this one.


Anyway, while reversing our path and trying to go the other way this damn dog would not give it up and followed us for the entire walk. Needless to say Beckett is NOT doing well and I'm beyond ticked off. I have no idea what this will do but I hope it passes very quickly. I'll take a walk through the area tonight and see if I can find the home that has this dog and lodge a complaint with the owner. Now mind you, had I still owned my rottie the tables would have been turned even though she was a big baby she was okay with agressive dogs that came after her. Poor Beckett!


K... venting done.. now back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment