Monday, February 14, 2011

Post weekend regression

It WAS a great weekend for Beckett and getting more experiences that a one-on-one exposure just can't address. That would be the socialization aspect to other dogs, locations, and people. Garin, although she was the first recipient of Beckett's defense, wasn't actually picked on because of her gender. She just happened to be the 'next' person after the miller's treatment and by association, just another bad person in Beckett's eyes. This past weekend showed that Beckett has his good days and his bad days. The weekend was two good days in a row, and today was a bad day when I went home to run him at 10:30!


First thing that greeted me was the traditional growling boy in the living room but preceding him was an exploded pee pad, my slipper, a puddle and a very guilty acting dog! Now my Rottie used to have the same expression. She was never beat except for a slap on the butt one time that I regretted for the rest of her life because of the guilt I felt. Beckett will never be slapped but will know when he's done wrong. In this case, he told me he had done wrong.


Unfortunately Beckett telling me that he did wrong doesn't stop him from going into the tremors. He backed sideways into the nearest solid item which happened to be the large ottoman and as i began cleaning up the mess and telling him that I was not happy with the 'gifts', he catches the tone and starts leaving more! I was caught between a rock and a mushy place actually. If droppings were gold, I could have retired for life!


Now on to a more serious note. I just got a call from Darrin and he is furious beyond what I've ever seen him before. Beckett was attacked by a large dog today while walking past an apartment house on Water Street here in Charlottetown! The large boxer type dog leapt over it's patio rail on the first floor level and right down on an unsuspecting Beckett. Of course he was out to the full extent of his lead at the time and Darrin said the dog was on Beckett before he could even get to him. The owner of the other dog leapt over the rail too, gee I wonder if the dog watched the owner do it before, and grabbed his own dog. After take the dog inside the owner came back out to make sure Beckett was okay but by then Darrin was in full attack mode himself and lit into the guy telling him how Beckett was a scared miller dog to begin with and it was irresponsible to have his dog out on the patio where it could have been much worse if Beckett was being walked by a kid or gawd help us, one of the seniors from the complex around the corner.

I have since reported this to the police, although I haven't heard of this dog having done this before, I want to ensure there is a record of it. I'd fully expect the same situation if the tables were turned.

Beckett, as far as we know, did not sustain any physical injury but you can imagine that he is not going to get over this too soon. Tomorrow is Beckett's day for his "operation" so we'll ask the vet to give him the once-over to make sure there isn't some internal issue. We've got him slated for being micro chipped and to have a growth on his back removed for examination beyond the 'operation' plan anyway.

I wonder if there is a way to have a tracking device installed into Beckett's harness? I'll have to check that out because there is going to be a day that he gets away and I'm hoping it is AFTER he has begun to allow us to touch him without being cornered.

No comments:

Post a Comment