Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Evolving pains..




It's been a few days now and I've been spending far too much of my free time on this pet project according to my partner... and yes, he's still my partner. What started out as a fun exercise, has begun to take on a life of it's own, as I was warned it would.

I've been asking friends for input, organizations for support and feedback, and strangers for forgiveness! After years of volunteering with gay and non-gay organizations, this would seem a great way to exercise all of those acquired training skills in the non-profit market.

It is obvious that we, the GLBT community, lack visual recognition when it comes to vacation information on-line and at tourist establishments. Being a mild mannered person, this has always been something I accepted as part of the "Island" lifestyle. Unfortunately, it makes for lousy Branding! We need something to show that we exist on PEI and that it is a great place to vacation, and well worth your hard earned dollar.

My contacts so far have responded with a resounding "PUT SOMETHING OUT THERE WE CAN FIND" and then there was a secondary theme of "but how do we know you're gay friendly". Neither of these were unexpected and I'm glad to see that the obvious has presented itself.

This research exercise is step one. Step two will be to start reviewing what Island based information I can find. The "review" is going to be fair and based on points. This point system is now being constructed from feedback I gather from those who do not live on PEI. Instead, it will be from the view points submitted, via e-mail, blog feedback, and chat notes.

Just be patient and grow with me.

Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment